Pages

February 26, 2007

a helping hand

I have been teaching Catherine to be my kitchen helper and my dear little Teresa has been feeling left out. She really, really wanted to help cook the noodles for dinner on Saturday night, so we gave it a try. She was very careful pouring the pasta in the pot, extremely attentive as she stirred them under mommy's watchful eye, and perfectly satisfied that she had done a good job after tasting them. I turned off the burner and lifted the pot to drain the noodles in the sink as Teresa turned to step down off the chair - and put her hand on the still-hot burner (pause for a big sigh).

After running her hand under cold water I found that, fortunately, she only slightly burned two fingers, but they were on her right hand so she couldn't hold her fork to eat. She held on to a cold compress and cried throughout dinner as I fed her. Afterwards, she rested contentedly in my arms on the couch while I basked in those few moments: speaking softly to her, admiring her big, beautiful blue eyes, and stroking her silky blonde hair - until the medicine kicked in and she was ready to run off and play. Lest anyone think this has traumatized her in any way whatsoever; on Sunday morning she dragged her chair over to the stove, ready to climb up and help daddy cook breakfast.

Aside: Although it has been a COLD winter, our house has been HOT ever since Adam cleaned the chimney on a calm day a couple of weeks ago. The wood-burning furnace has been working at optimum efficiency...and that is why Teresa's "winter" clothes consist of a T-shirt and shorts!

No comments: