Pages

August 22, 2007

did you know...

...that dragonflies migrate? Last night, just before sunset, we saw hundreds of dragonflies dipping and soaring between the driveway and cedar windbreak just north of our house. I tried to get a picture, but I couldn't capture the swarm of dragonflies that were feasting on our (mosquito, I hope) population. I think they were this common green darner, but since they were in constant motion, it was hard to tell. It was amazing to walk out in the midst of them and listen to the hum of their wings as they dive-bombed the grass all around us.

In other migration news, the hummingbirds are headed south. We don't get any residents in Nebraska, but they pass through in spring and late summer. There is a well-established stand of trumpet creeper on the south side of our property, and we've seen hummingbirds before. Teresa asked for a hummingbird feeder for her birthday and we were more than happy to buy her a starter kit. We put it up on Monday and were delighted to observe our first visitor, a female ruby-throated hummingbird, this morning!

No comments: