Pages

October 5, 2007

Fall Meme

Dawn at By Sun and Candlelight created this Fall Meme that I thought was awesome, so here's my first attempt at a "meme":


When does fall begin for you?
The first September day that I feel the cool, crisp breeze of autumn blowing away the hot, humid summer air.

What is your favorite aspect of fall? I love the change in weather that beckons me outside for nature walks and bike rides.

What is your favorite fall memory? I was a candidate with an order of teaching Sisters when I was 20. There were apple trees on the property and I got to pick apples with the postulants and novices, then we spent the day cutting and cooking them to make the most delicious apple compote to eat with breakfast every morning that autumn.

What do you like to drink in the fall? Tea. Celestial Seasonings. Every evening to begin a "date" with my husband after the kids are in bed. Tangerine Orange Zinger, Raspberry Zinger, Lemon Zinger, Black Cherry Berry, and Peppermint are a few of our favorites.

What's your favorite fall food? Hearty soups with homemade bread; Baking with apples, pumpkin, and zucchini; Acorn squash filled with butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup.

What is fall weather like where you live? A Nebraska fall is still very warm in September with more and more cool, crisp days as the season moves into October. We tend to have a few big storms, a few cloudy, gray rainy days, and wind. First Frost comes in October, and it is usually cold and snowy by Halloween, but it always warms up again in November, particularly around Thanksgiving.

What color is fall? September is apple red, October is harvest gold, and November is orange and brown. :)

What does fall smell like? Inside: Pumpkin Spice, Cinnamon Apple, and Maple Syrup. Outside: Corn chaff, Squash, and Wet leaves.

Holiday shopping in fall: yes or no? I start thinking about it, looking on-line, and making wish lists...

If you could go anywhere in the fall, where would you go? the Ozark Mountains.

What is your favorite fall sport? I am supposed to say Husker football and shout GO BIG RED, here, but I'm really not a sports fan.

Do you have a favorite fall chore? Gardening! Harvesting, pickling and canning the last of the produce from the vegetable garden. Planting spring bulbs. Pruning, dividing, and transplanting. I also enjoy splitting and stacking wood with my husband.

What is your least favorite thing about fall? The field mice that move indoors and leave little presents all over my kitchen counters, in my drawers, and on the floor...and my husband's allergies.

What is your favorite fall holiday? Thanksgiving Day.

What's your favorite kind of pie? Caramel Apple

What was your favorite Halloween costume? I was a gypsy for many years in a row. I loved wearing the heavy eye makeup, the gold hoop earrings and the flouncy skirt. :) (PLUS arms full of bracelets, an assortment of gaudy necklaces, and every single one of my mom's scarves tied on to a belt!)

What was your favorite Halloween candy? Was? IS!!! Mellowcreme Pumpkins

What was your least favorite Halloween candy? Those orange and brown wax paper wrapped peanut butter taffy things.

Which do you prefer, the Farm or the Fair? I'm just not a big fan of crowds, so I have to say the Farm.

Do you have a favorite fall book? In November, Cynthia Rylant, The Little Pumpkin Book, Kelly Bratun; Apples Here!, Will Hubbell

How about a favorite fall poem? Sadly, I am not well-versed in poetry and , as my children are all very young, I mostly know poems for the very young like Leaves Fall Down by Margaret Wise Brown:

One by one the leaves fall down
From the sky come falling one by one
And leaf by leaf the summer is done
One by one by one by one.

1 comments:

SuzanneG said...

Oh, that was good reading! LOVE Autumn!

No comments: