The Song of The Speedwell Fairy:
"Clear blue are the skies;
My petals are blue;
As beautiful, too,
As bluest of eyes.
The heavens are high:
By the field-path I grow
Where wayfarers go,
And "Good speed," say I;
"See, here is a prize
Of wonderful worth:
A weed of the earth,
As blue as the skies!"
by Cicely Mary Barker
I found the old religious names for my "weeds" at Mary's Gardens:
(Germander) Speedwell = Our Lady's Resting Place
Shepherd's Purse = Shepherd's of Bethlehem
Dandelion = Priest's Crown
Viola (Violet) = Lady's Delight
Ground Ivy = Where God Has Walked


3 comments:
How beautiful. I recently posted some photographs of wild flowers (never weeds! Unless nettles...) and so wish I had known them by those beautiful religious names. Thanks for the link to more of the same... Isn't it lovely to know that we are so far away, yet looking at so many of the same beautiful things?!
(Sorry, I seem to be really rubbish at the technical bit that lets you contact me back if you want to - can I try again?!)
Rachael - Thank you for stopping by. I'm I was able to share the lovely religious names of the wildflowers that we're both seeing. If you figure out how to comment (I have a rough time doing that correctly, as well) I'd love to see your wildflowers. :)
Post a Comment