Pages

May 24, 2008

I got lucky...

I had a half cup of creamed corn leftover from lunch and thought I could try to mix it in some cornbread for dinner. I have never successfully made "good" cornbread so if I screwed it up it would be just like every other time I try to make cornbread. I had a bag of Hodgson Mills Yellow Cornmeal that had a recipe for corn meal muffins and a recipe for old fashioned cornbread on it. I decided to round up and down between the two recipes, throw in the creamed corn and bake it in a mini-loaf pan. They came out SO GOOD! Here's the recipe before I forget:

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup creamed corn
2 T sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1/4 cup canola oil
1 scant cup milk plus 2 T white vinegar

Mix everything together, grease bottoms only of mini-loaf pan (I used coconut oil) while the batter "rests". Preheat oven to 400F. Divide batter evenly and bake for 15-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Remove to wire rack to cool. Makes 8.

No comments: