I always have the idea that somehow I'm supposed to "get the day off" on Mother's Day, but really, as Rebecca wrote this morning, motherhood is 24/7...and I enjoyed my day being a mother:
+Getting up earlier than usual to shower and dress the girls for 8AM Mass.
+Trying to maintain stillness and quiet during Mass by myself since it is Adam's month to acolyte.
+Laundering the bedding of two children who had "accidents" last night.
+Preparing meals and cleaning up afterwards. (We went out to eat yesterday for lunch to avoid the Mother's Day rush and I made Holy Ghost Sopas for dinner to celebrate Pentecost).
+Taking out the trash and hauling the recycling to town**.
+Giving hugs and kisses to make bumps and bruises all better.
+Picking up the house...and encouraging the children to help.
+Putting some very tired boys down for a nap (and letting one very tired girl sleep in her carseat in the van for an hour).
+Reading to and cuddling with well-rested children and giving thanks together for a wonderful day.
**We went to a local nursery to buy sweet peppers (6 Better Bell) and tomatoes (6 Jet Star) for our garden. We're keeping it small and simple this year. I also have one "Aristocrat" zucchini plant, a "Golden Pear" tomato plant, a "Sweet Cluster" tomato plant, and and a container of rosemary. They were giving moms a free 4-pack of flowers, so I picked out some double petunias in pink and purple. We bought some green bean and a variety of flower seeds, including sunflower and morning glory seeds that Catherine and I promptly planted for the kids' Sunflower House. (I hope it grows). AND, while we were in town, my husband decided to wash the van. We found out it was still white!
To end the day, the Netflix movie that came yesterday was Funny Face, which is one of my favorite old movies because...well, this post is getting long enough without going into why I think this movie s-won-derful...s-mar-velous. We'll be watching that tonight and I'll catch up on Cranford tomorrow.
For my present, besides the flower and vegetable plants & seeds, I ordered some books by St. Francis de Sales that I've wanted and one that I just read about from this store...surprisingly inexpensive (they had all 3 books cheaper than I could find anywhere else) plus free shipping. That's the kind of thing that makes this mom happy!
Really, I wouldn't have changed a thing. I hope you had a Happy Mother's Day, too!
4 months ago


2 comments:
So glad you had a nice Mother's Day!
I've been enjoying looking through your blog this month! Thank you for the sweet comments you have left on mine!
I noticed on your profile that you live in Nebraska! We will be heading there in less than 2 weeks for my BIL's Ordination, in Lincoln. This will be our 3rd trip to NE, since my hubby's other 2 brothers were ordained there as well. I am looking forward to it -- well, except for the packing! :)
God Bless!
Yes! He is one of the four ordinandi for the FSSP!!
Post a Comment