Pages

July 23, 2008

problems...solved

Problem #1: Fighting/bickering/complaining about who gets which colored bowl, plate, cup, fork or spoon EVERY time we sit down to eat.

Problem #2: Dishes and utensils all over the floor - clean (from Stephen emptying the dish drawer) and dirty (from kids playing at the table and/or leaving them on the table for Stephen to climb up and clear off by throwing them on the floor).

Problem #3: A dishwasher full of dishes - dirty or clean, doesn't matter - it's full and I need it somewhere to put the dirty dishes from THIS meal.

Problem #4: Money / energy wasted on washing clean (see Problem #2) and dirty dishes every day. EVERY day!

Solution: Everyone chooses one place setting. Everything that gets used gets washed after each meal. Dishes go in the dish rack, ready for the next meal. Pots, pans, mixing bowls and such go in the dishwasher racks to air dry, saving counter space and eliminating the temptation to throw everything in the dishwasher.

Does it work? After a week of this experiment I can say: Oh, yeah! It takes a bit of discipline on all of our parts - mine especially as I teach the children how to wash and rinse the dishes properly and thoroughly, but I know that this will pay off in the long run. I'm using much less energy doing dishes by hand. There is no more fighting / complaining about the pink bowl or the green cup being dirty. There are no more dishes all over the floor. The best part is that the kids enjoy - ENJOY - washing the dishes. Tonight Teresa finished her dinner and asked to be excused from the table so she could do the dishes!

No comments: