Pages

July 9, 2008

Tradition

I really enjoy classic, traditional things from art to names. I've been browsing beautiful art at Great Masters Gallery. They are reproductions, but the high quality images are watermark free. I now have a beautiful Bouguereau screensaver. You may recognize his Childhood Idyll, Song of the Angels or Innocence. We have a Virgin with Angels jigsaw puzzle, and I have Maternal Admiration on a coffee cup. I just love his paintings of children:


The Crab, 1869

She looks like she would make a lovely playmate for Catherine. We received Catherine's Kindergarten class list in the mail yesterday. Her teacher is Mrs. Nelson (not Miss Nelson). Her classmates include the triplets who live across the road from us and two other girls whom we've met, Reagan and Martina, but not her friend, Becca or the other two children we know from our parish, Maggie and Patrick. Her class has 12 girls and 9 boys; the other class has 11 girls and 10 boys. Reading through the class lists, my husband and I were struck by some untraditional names: Kaylene, Kolt, Kyrah, Sydney, Declan, Cade, Rylee, Kyra, Ryann, Dawson and Payton. I should be used to it by now, with the trend towards the untraditional becoming more common. We are glad that we chose traditional Christian saint and family names for our children. With fewer parents choosing those names, I guess our kids traditional names will be just as unique as those kids with nontraditional names....or perhaps more so. After all, there is only one Catherine, but two Rylee/Riley's and Kyrah/Kyra's!

No comments: