Pages

November 18, 2008

in search of 'fancy'

I am not a fancy girl. I like things plain and simple. I am a lot like the mom in the Fancy Nancy books. My girls aren't quite as flamboyant as Nancy, but they definitely have fancy tendencies. They like sparkle. They like pink. Teresa, inspired by Nancy's fancy room, decided to take her dress-up clothes and decorate her room.



Their room is (two shades of) pink, but peeling. I have plain bedsheets hung from plain black rings on plain white curtain rods. The furniture is nice, but the bedding is a plain white fitted sheet and a plain white top sheet. Teresa's twin comforter is plain; Catherine's floral one is too big (queen). There is only one hung picture, a small lamp, a and the small carpet is from the days that this room was a girls nursery (not old, just "baby" themed).

Adam is busy working two jobs and when he is at home, his time is full of the responsibilities of maintaining an acreage. Making his girls' room fancy is not high on his priority list. I don't know how I'm going to do it, but if this room is ever going to get a make-over, I'm going to have to do it. I can do this. I can do this. Who wants to come help?

(NOTE: It looks like Linens N Things is going out of business...maybe I'll be able to find some deals, there!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw a really neat idea once that I'll share. Take posterboard outside and paint huge, crazy, abstract art on it. Throw paint soaked sponges at it, drag strings across it that have been soaked in paint, pull an old comb through it for texture, you get the idea. For your Fancy Nancy girls invest in some glitter and cut out their names from cardstock and glitter them. Once the posterboard is dry attach their sparkly names to it and then go hang it up in their room but since huge frames are so expensive what about attaching it to the wall with wide borders of painter's tape?

stephanie said...

Thanks for the idea!