Pages

April 1, 2009

Ducklings!

The first duckling hatched sometime between 7 and 730 this morning; the second hatched between 8 and 830. I lifted the lid to catch a picture of them resting by the third egg, which didn't hatch until about 12:15. I happened to be downstairs when it happened - one big push and the egg popped open and our third little duckling flopped out.



We are working with the first duckling because it has a bum leg. It is doing much better already.



Our two year old is enthralled with them, and I think I might have to keep the basement door locked! He sneaked downstairs to see the ducklings when they were still in the incubator, and had lifted the lid to see them better...



So, starting with 24 eggs; 7 were fertile and 3 hatched. The other 4 fertile eggs stopped developing early on (we cracked them open, but didn't photograph - sorry!)

No comments: