I have never watched this show. The biggest reason is that we don't have cable. I have heard about it and most of the things have not necessarily been positive so I haven't sought out an opportunity to see what the hype is all about. Nevertheless, it seems to be a very popular show, prompting a response from Elizabeth Foss, who observed that "...the general population thinks that they are an accurate representation of life in a big family." and that because of Jon and Kate, "...America has the impression that large families are exasperating burdens."
Sadly, this perception does not just apply to "large" families. Even when I had only two children - close together - strangers at the store shook their heads and once they saw that I was expecting a third the comments started flying: "Boy, you sure have your hands full!" (If I had a quarter for every time I have heard that...) This is not a "new" problem, either. In the 17th century Father Jean Baptitste Saint-Jure wrote: "And as a man's resources, however ample and assured they may seem, are always limited and uncertain, even those who are most favored by fortune view with dismay an increase in their family. They regard it a a kind of disaster which fills them with apprehension, an endless source of worry to poison their existence." (from Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence, p. 52)
May we all be able to say with Elizabeth, no matter what our family size, "I see my children as gifts. And before I even knew those gifts, I saw my husband as a gift. I have tired days and frustrating days, but those (10) people are always gifts in my life. And they know it."
Jesus, I trust in You!
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph; Pray for us.
4 months ago


2 comments:
I like to say better full than empty! It makes them think every time. :)
I wasn't ignoring this post. But, I have rewritten it about a million times;)
"...America has the impression that large families are exasperating burdens"
This is how Kate has made a huge fortune;) I must say her "burden" did make her rich. But, it did not force her to be cruel to her husband.
Their marital problems are not a result of having many children or having multiples. It is a result of her condescending and disrespectful attitude towards her husband on national tv. I beleive she would be this way regardless if they had 20 kids or no kids at all. She is one of those people who simply can't be wrong.
In her defense though...I do think she views her children as gifts from God. I would like to think that their children know they are loved. And I do understand why she wrote the books and tours. I am convinced that one of her kids has Aspergers. So she might be looking at a lifetime of care for that one child in particular. So her trying to "cash-in" now is understandable. It is something that people with "normal" children simply cannot understand.
Post a Comment