Pages

July 17, 2009

I scream...you scream...

We are the proud new owners of an ice-cream maker. We have one like this up in our attic. I bid on it at a silent auction back in 2001 and won it! It never got used. Well, that's not entirely true, it got borrowed once and used by someone else. I have been meaning to use it. One of these days I"ll gather together everything I need and...

That day will never come, because Grandma Q bought us one like hers for our birthdays. We have not been enjoying the artificially flavored bucket-o-"ice-cream" and the good stuff (made with easily recognizable ingredients) are usually out of our price range. I recently read about another new product: Haagen-Daz five, that made my mouth water, but Haagen-Daz carries a price tag that gives me a brain freeze.

We can now craft our own ice-cream, sorbet, and frozen yogurt for much less. We can also make slushies and other frozen drinks in 15 minutes. (I am looking forward to the day when I can freeze up a delicious drink mix from a bottle...) In the meanwhile I'm thinking of making a Cherry Limeade slushy. For the kids, it will cost me a mere $0.24 to make 6 cups of Kool-Aid slushy. Our first vanilla ice-cream (using Grandma Q's new favorite recipe) cost a little more than that, but it was wonderful. Thank you!!!

5 comments:

Megan B said...

we enjoy homemade ice cream also. would you mind sharing your recipe?

Joseph Q said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joseph Q said...

GRAET JOB

ITS PERFECT AND CREAMY AND SMOOTH>

JOSEPH :D

Kristi said...

Yummy!!! So many gadgets so little time. We recently purchased a Quesadilla maker. Its fabulous....but, now I wish I had an ice cream maker:)

stephanie said...

Megan - this is the recipe. We have fresh eggs - collected daily from our own hens, so I'm not afraid to use raw yolks:

3 cups cream (I used 2 cups cream and 1 cup whole milk so I'd have 2 cups of cream left to make another batch...;)
1/2 cup maple syrup
3 egg yolks
1T pure vanilla extract
2 T arrowroot powder (optional - is supposed to make it thicker. This was noticeable straight from the ice-cream maker, but not after additional freezing.)

Makes 1 quart.

Kristi (or anyone else) - If you want the less easy to use automatic ice cream maker from our attic, let us know!