Pages

July 8, 2009

summer entertainment

Maria von Trapp suggests a Lenten Reading Program of something for the mind, something for the soul and something for the heart. I have thought of slightly adapting this so that I have available something intellectual, something spiritual, and something just for fun to read.

I recently finished reading Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence by Fr. Saint-Jure & St. Claude de la Colombiere (although I will never be done with this book). Next on my list for spiritual reading is, Happy Are You Poor: The Simple Life and Spiritual Freedom by Thomas Dubay. I just have to buy it - a belated birthday present to myself.

Taking a break from reading about homeschooling for my "intellectual" book, I just started (slowly) working my way through: Witness to Hope - The Biography of Pope John Paul II by George Weigel. The librarian anticipated that I'll be renewing this 1008 page book a few times before I finish it. We recently watched Witness to Hope - The Life of John Paul II, and the Polish history, in particular, interested me since I have close to 50% Polish heritage from both of my grandmothers. (We are also currently watching Pope John Paul II)

For fun, I am reading an occasional Father Brown mystery. I have read the first 6 from The Innocence of Father Brown. They are really quite good but I expect that it will take me all year to read these on-line. If I had it in print, though, I'd probably never put it down. This complements my favorite Netflix "Watch Instantly" 1/2-hour program, "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" (which you can also watch here on hulu, which we just heard about).

So, 1)what are you reading? and 2) do you do watch hulu?

No comments: