Pages

July 27, 2010

what color?

We went to the optometrist today because I never had Teresa's eyes checked when we started Kindergarten. She had 'perfect' eyes when we went in for her free check-up just before she turned 4 (See To Learn) and was not having any trouble in school so it wasn't on my radar. Now that she's going back - legal requirements being what they are - I took her in (they're still practically perfect, though there's a slight astigmatism that we need to keep an eye on - no pun intended.) We went ahead with the other free program, InfantSee, and had Michaela's eyes checked out. They're perfect, too...but with all the eyes those people see, the consensus in the office was that they're "dark".

They are not quite brown...there is some green in there, right? MY eyes are definitely brown:

The doctor sugested "dark hazel". I asked if they'd continue to darken or lighten but he said that the pigment is pretty much set by 7 months...other sources on-line say 6-9 months and that the color can continue to subtly change until they're 3 and some people's eye color changes even into adulthood.

I knew that she would have dark eyes. They were never baby blue. They started out slate (that sounds prettier than gray) as pictured, above. But, I really don't think they're brown like mine (and Stephen's). Do you? It's ok if you do. I can take it.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Whatever color they are, Leo's are very similar! His started out "slate" :),then I thought they were on the way to turning brown like Jude's and Joseph's but they have stuck in this crazy star-burst, multi-color, changes with the light, what color are they really limbo? I'll be interested to see the description you come up with!

stephanie said...

There is a brown starburst in the middle - then it's mostly greenish gold with a ring of slate around the outside...and it changes with the light and what color she's wearing...

Aubrey said...

Ooh, they're pretty. Many people comment on my kids' eyes because they're blue, but I am so used to blue that other colors--brown, hazel, green--really stand out to me and strike me as beautiful! What a delicious looking baby!