Pages

July 19, 2010

wonder of wonders...

...miracle of miracles!



When my 6yo (7 next month) collected ALL these caterpillars off the dill, I knew they wouldn't all make it. I'm sure she had visions of releasing a cloud of butterflies as one would release a bunch of balloons into the sky. After two thunderstorms and in spite of forgetful children we had five chrysalides (that's plural for chrysalis - I had to look it up). The net was pulled off the party tub we were keeping them in by 3yo hands one morning and two emerged and flew away before we knew it. This was the third butterfly and we hope to watch the fourth and/or fifth emerge. Without further ado...a close-up of the caterpillar (shame on me for not taking a better picture of one outside the jar). Do you know what it will be?


The chrysalis attached to silk on the side of the jar:



The butterfly!!!

It's a black swallowtail, right? Here's the detail of the underside of an empty chrysalis. I thought it was really cool:


and a close up of the butterfly's scales:



This is the first time I've EVER done this. I'm in awe.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Love, Love, Love Butterflies! Their transformations are such a beautiful thing to witness!