Pages

February 16, 2007

a few words

Anthony's vocabulary has been slowly developing over the last several weeks. His first words were pretty typical: juice, shoes, ball, car, apple, and more. He says everything with such precision, trying to pronounce each letter correctly, and dragging out his vowel sounds: jooooosss, shoooosss, baaaaal, caaaaar, appaaaal, mooooore. His Aunt Andrea thought this was hilarious and taught him to say "offfffffff", which he uses frequently as he reaches for the light switches.

Recently, he's been bringing maaaaa lots of picture dictionary type boooooksss and points at each picture saying "deeessss" then turning to watch my mouth as I form the word. He has been repeating parts of the body, clothes, and a few vehicles, objects and animals, but seems to be waiting until he KNOWS the word before he'll try to say it. Similarly, although we were trying to teach him sign language from the Baby Signing Time DVDs, he would not sign any of the words. Now that he is able to say mooooore he will sign it, too. and so it has been with several other words and phrases. Silly boy.

Now, because no blog post is complete without a picture, here is one distressed boy who put on his "coke" and "boooooootsss" all by himself. He just couldn't understand why I wouldn't let him go play in the snow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find it interesting that Anthony has carried over his exaggerated vowel sounds to all words. When we visited at Christmas, it was all about caaaaaars. I did notice that he paid close attention to me as I tried to teach him new words while refraining from risking error that might result from attempting to repeat the words himself. Cautious boy.