
Stephen is up to 14+ pounds and 25 inches, still on track for length, but falling off slightly for weight. I expect him to fall off the growth curve because the AAP growth chart is based on "average" baby size and most babies start munching on rice cereal and other baby food and/or are supplemented with formula by now. We are going to wait until Stephen is 6 months to introduce solid food, particularly because we had trouble introducing solids to Anthony when he was a baby. His little tummy just said "NO!" to anything we tried feeding him, aside from mommy's milk, until he was 9 months old. Then, his first food was pears, cooked and blended by mom (and mostly homemade baby food from then on). The girls were both eating Gerber baby food at 4 months, so I was worried about Anthony until I read
this. It's good for me to review it again, now, because Stephen has hit his 3-4 month growth spurt and is nursing more frequently - even waking up two or three times a night. Introducing solids is what I did with the girls, and tried to do with Anthony, but I was surprised to find out it is not recommended. It seems to be our cultural practice to introduce solids to babies pretty early, so I tend to get a lot of comments / questions about my nursing-only 4 month old from family and friends, especially those who have or know of other babies who are (or were) already eating at 4 months.
No comments:
Post a Comment