No - I'm not talking about relatives. My parents are on a vacation of sorts, but it is not here. They're enjoying much nicer weather, I hope, and celebrating mom's 60th birthday to boot!
Happy Birthday, Mom!
(If you're wondering, when I told the kids it was grandma's birthday, the first thing they asked was if she was coming over for birthday cake, so perhaps we'll throw together a dump cake this afternoon just for fun!)
Our unwelcome visitors are a pair of eastern fox squirrels, who have finally conquered the bird feeder. I like squirrels, but they're scaring away the birds. So...a solution to that problem is in the works. Our other unwelcome visitor is the blue jay that I observed taking a bath this morning. We used to have tons of blue jays but we think that the West Nile Virus killed many of them off around here. This is the first one I've seen all year and I really don't remember seeing any last year, either. From what we've observed, they tend to drive away the nicer species, and though they are pretty to look at, I don't think that they have a very pretty voice. Hopefully, the one was just passing through...
Our groundhog, however, is not completely unwelcome yet. I just can't figure this guy out. He hasn't touched any of the veggies in our garden. I've been trying to observe him and it looks like he's just collecting the grass clippings that we use as mulch. It is for his burrow or is he eating it? He's very alert to danger and just about any noise my kids make scares him off, so I'm not quite sure what he's doing, but I'll be keeping an eye on him.
Our unwelcome visitors are a pair of eastern fox squirrels, who have finally conquered the bird feeder. I like squirrels, but they're scaring away the birds. So...a solution to that problem is in the works. Our other unwelcome visitor is the blue jay that I observed taking a bath this morning. We used to have tons of blue jays but we think that the West Nile Virus killed many of them off around here. This is the first one I've seen all year and I really don't remember seeing any last year, either. From what we've observed, they tend to drive away the nicer species, and though they are pretty to look at, I don't think that they have a very pretty voice. Hopefully, the one was just passing through...
Our groundhog, however, is not completely unwelcome yet. I just can't figure this guy out. He hasn't touched any of the veggies in our garden. I've been trying to observe him and it looks like he's just collecting the grass clippings that we use as mulch. It is for his burrow or is he eating it? He's very alert to danger and just about any noise my kids make scares him off, so I'm not quite sure what he's doing, but I'll be keeping an eye on him.


No comments:
Post a Comment