Pages

August 9, 2007

every house should have one of these


I had one when I was a kid, so when the local Catholic elementary school upgraded from chalkboards to white boards this summer we picked up two of them. They were 10-feet long and 4-feet tall, so we cut one down to a 6-foot length. It fits perfectly on our otherwise unusable kitchen wall that is between the door to the basement /back door and the door to our laundry room / downstairs bathroom. The remaining 14 feet will be going to happy friends and relatives.

I love having this in my kitchen to keep the kids occupied while I'm washing dishes or preparing meals. Most of the time there is a cheery picture, like this one to make me smile.

Since the chalkboard is magnetic, I can also put up some of my favorite drawings and paintings, like this beautiful dancing princess that Catherine drew:

The chalk dust is a little messy, but, honestly, I have to sweep the kitchen floor like 3 times a day, anyway. Overall, it is a great way to occupy the kids creatively. I can see that their drawing skills and imaginations have developed immensely this summer, and I plan on using it a lot as I homeschool Catherine this fall.

No comments: