Pages

August 14, 2007

when life gives you lemons...

The Perseid meteor shower was on Sunday. We had an afternoon thunderstorm (netting us another 1.1 inches of rain, which brought our total for the month up to 5.2 inches!) and the skies were cloudy when we went to bed, so I thought I'd miss it.

I was wrong.

At 3am, I woke up to the sound of Teresa crying. Her knee hurt, so I sat on her bed and as I rubbed her legs, I saw a shooting star out the window. She had just fallen asleep when Stephen woke up for an early morning feeding. I gazed out the window as I nursed him, and saw 2 more small, faint meteors. Before I had a chance to put him back to bed, I heard a THUMP and a cry, indicating that Anthony had fallen out of his toddler bed. I went in with wide-awake Stephen and helped him get back to sleep. By now, I was wide-awake, myself, so I tip-toed down the stairs and went outside with Stephen to gaze at the stars and see a few more streaks of light flit across the sky.

It wasn't a terribly impressive display, but helped me realize that "everything is a grace". It turned what could have been a bothersome, frustrating night into a rare opportunity to enjoy a cool, clear night out under the stars with my baby.

No comments: