Besides an assortment of aptly named "quick breads", I've made *
focaccia,
onion kulcha, naan,
crescent rolls,
cloverleaf rolls, and pizza dough for homemade pizza and Parmesan bread sticks, but I have been afraid to try my hand at a regular loaf of white bread.

Well, today I overcame that fear and baked my first loaf of bread. I can't say that it came out perfect, but
I made it! It smelled wonderful baking in the oven, our first slice, buttered, was delicious and it made rather nice peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch. Tomorrow I'll make toast out of the remainder to serve with fresh fruit and eggs while I start my second loaf. I like the notion of baking our daily bread. From a practical perspective, it can be a little less expensive, a little bit healthier, and I don't have to worry about running out of bread because we didn't buy enough or throwing away moldy bread because we bought too much. Of course it is more work (and don't I have enough to do as a soon-to-be homeschooling mom of four little kids?) but, like raising those little kids, it is work that is very rewarding. Besides, all the kids ate their crusts without complaining and that NEVER happens with store-bought bread!
*the links are not necessarily the recipes I use, just an idea of what I'm talking about if you don't know what these breads are...especially the traditional breads from India. Betty Crocker and Kitchen Aid help me with most of my cooking and baking.
No comments:
Post a Comment