Pages

November 4, 2007

amazed...

Inspired by this thread, I turned two computer boxes into a stove and a cupboard for the girls to play with upstairs. They spent the afternoon preparing a delicious meal and invited us up for a light show and dinner after...dinner. If their enthusiasm for this kitchen lasts longer than the cardboard, we'll have to buy (or build) a play kitchen for them. After dinner, when we were cleaning up, Anthony was excitedly lining up blocks to "build a word". What word? Sink. We needed a sink to wash the dishes in, and while mom was looking for something practical like an ice-cream bucket, Anthony decided just to make one like they do on our new favorite show.

I decided to run with it and we pulled out the alphabet blocks. We spelled SINK, BALL, and I quickly noticed that Anthony was picking out the letters that I was looking for. Then he handed me one and told me that it was the letter "O". It was. He accurately identified all the letters I've been teaching Catherine and Teresa and a few more to boot! I humbly acknowledge that watching Word World may have something to do with this, but more so, I am sure he is picking it up from all the alphabet books we read, alphabet flash card games we play, forming letters out of playdoh, poker chips and food, tracing letters in shaving cream on the table or in the dirt outside, coloring alphabet letter pages, and writing letters on the chalkboard. Still, I'm amazed that at 2 and a half years old he has picked up so much just by playing along.

1 comment:

Kristen Laurence said...

What a cutie! Those little ones absorb so much from their older siblings. It's always a treat for their mamas. :)