Pages

November 6, 2007

Freeze Yer Buns Challenge

I've been noticing this on a couple of different blogs, and read all about it at the source, Crunchy Chicken. I'm hoping for some savings in $, of course, but I also feel that it is important to do what we can to be good stewards of the world God gave us. This is just one more little thing that we can do to reduce the environmental impact of having a "big" family.

We have separate upstairs and downstairs HVAC systems. Upstairs we have a heat pump set at 67 day and night. Downstairs we have a propane heater that we run in the fall and spring at 68/65. We have a wood burning furnace when it gets colder to save $$. There is no thermostat on that, and it is hard to control the temp, so the house can get quite warm. But for what I can control, I'm turning the upstairs thermostat down to 65 day and night and the downstairs thermostat down to 67/62. It doesn't sound like much, compared to the families who are really freezing their buns at 65/60 or lower (!) but it's all this skinny girl with 4 little kids can handle.

No comments: