Pages

November 14, 2007

something simple

This morning Anthony asked me to read him Ox-Cart Man by Donald Hall, so I did. Then he wanted me to read it again, and since it is a book that I enjoy, I willingly complied. After we read it a third time, I thought that was enough for one morning. I'm not quite sure what it is about this book in particular that he likes. My husband seems equally attracted to this story and has voluntarily read it to the kids in the evenings after dinner a few times since we have had it checked out from the library. I think we are drawn to the simplicity of this family's purposeful work through the year, illustrated so beautifully by Barbara Cooney.

I am reading more about simplicity of life in Mitten Strings for God: Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry by Katrina Kenison. Margaret recommended it and after reading another recommendation here and getting a sneak preview here, I was delighted to find that our library has this book. She asks the question, "In our efforts to create special occasions for our children, do we lose sight of what's really important? Are these elaborate productions crowding out the kinds of simple, heartfelt celebrations that truly enrich our lives and delight our children?" (p. 37) It is something I have been thinking about since reading Kristen's post about planning ahead in order that we do not get overwhelmed at a time where we should be peacefully preparing for the birth of Christ.

I have also been reading and reflecting on Abby Sasscer's e-book, Simplifying Your Domestic Church, as each Chapter is added under Catholic Heritage Curricula's Important Resources. I have been making small changes, day by day, to make our home more orderly, more peaceful, more of a domestic church where I am not just attending to my children's physical and intellectual needs, but providing an environment that enriches their - all of our - souls. This is about more than de-cluttering, Abby points out in Chapter 2, this is about detachment. "The very deficiency of material things enhances, increases and enriches the faith: the less for the eyes, the more for the soul." —Rev. Fr. Jean-Pierre de Caussade, Abandonment to Divine Providence, p. 53

3 comments:

Margaret in Minnesota said...

That "Mitten Strings" book is so very good...

I liked what she says about healing and taking the time to comfort our children. I've always been one to pooh-pooh the seriousness of their boo-boos. Not anymore! I promptly went out and purchased several boxes of colorful, cartoony band-aids. :)

divina said...

I enjoy your posts, especially the ones that are reflective and make me take a look at my own spiritual life.

stephanie said...

Margaret - Thanks for the recommendation. I am really enjoying this book!

Divina - Thank you for your kind comment. I am always inspired by other lovely ladies and am glad that I can share that with others.