Pages

December 15, 2007

shooting birds

My husband has helped me learn how to shoot birds - with a combination of our binoculars and camera. He would like to teach me how to shoot his guns, and I'll learn someday - when it's just he and I. So far it has only come up when we're with friends and/or family and, quite frankly, I'm afraid of being laughed at. It is not something I'm overly eager to do, though, so I haven't brought it up when we're at home together, either.

He took these great pictures last weekend:

Northern Cardinal (female)

Northern Cardinal (male)

Blue Jay

I took these today:

Harris's Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco and Goldfinch (non-breeding plumage)

I love watching our winter birds and the binoculars REALLY help me identify them more accurately. Besides our regular visitors, we've "officially" spotted a Purple Finch (male), and a Northern Flicker (yellow-shafted adult female)!

1 comment:

Jen said...

How cool. Those are some beautiful shots you got. We did a study on birds earlier, and my daughter loved it. It's neat to see which birds, like you posted, come often, or just pop in from time to time. What a great learning environment you've got there. :-)