Pages

March 9, 2008

my little obsession

"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?"
-Henry Ward Beecher (1813 - 1887)



I love books. Our library has a small bookstore in which donated books that the library can't use are sold. They also sell old library books there. I take a look at least once a month and am always pleased to find wonderful books like these.




"The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807 - 1882), 'Morituri Salutamus,' 1875


Yesterday I was excited to pick up a copy of Peter Pan illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman for $0.50. Also, I was pleased to find a $0.25 copy of A Child's Garden of Verses illustrated by Eliose Wilkins to add to my collection of classic Little Golden Books. My other find was a very good copy of the out-of-print Song of Saint Francis by Clyde Robert Bulla for, yes, $0.50. All together, I picked up seven *new* books for $4. In my opinion, it was money well-spent because, to me, "A room without books is like a body without a soul."-Cicero. However, my husband always likes to point out that we have so many books already and asks, "Are you ever going to read them all?"

"Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them!
How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them."
-Arnold Lobel

You may be wondering if I've forgotten that I'm supposed to be getting rid of things - purging - letting go - detaching. I am. Really. Look at this pile of stuff that is leaving the house!



One of these boxes is even full of books that are no longer loved or needed. I've been thinking about this post and I do have much more to let go of because even with this pile of stuff that is leaving and a ton of trash that we've thrown away, there is much more that needs to go.

No comments: