Pages

March 16, 2008

spring

The weather has warmed up so that the children have had plenty of opportunity to play outside. You would think that I would see this as a God-send and blessing. The kids can finally play outside for a long time, getting all of that pent-up energy out; breathing in fresh air as they swing and slide and ride their bikes.

Unfortunately, in our little corner of the world, spring = mud. Last year we got to enjoy the melting snow and muddy driveway on Anthony's birthday. This year was much of the same. For me, this has intensified my Lenten mortifications because mud means more laundry, more baths, and more cleaning of muddy hand and footprints throughout the house...quickly...before Stephen samples a mouthful of delectable...could it be chocolate? Nope, just more mud.

On Thursday, I was blessed to witness the carefree enjoyment of our friends from town as they played in our driveway. My friend smiled and laughed and wished she had her camera to take pictures of her kids splashing in the mud puddles and giving the stuffed animal a mud bath.



She cheerfully put all their muddy shoes, socks, pants, and grubby pup in a bag and whisked them home, apparently looking forward to giving them a warm bath. It made me look at myself and my own attitude about letting the kids go outside to play in the mud. I see it as...how did I describe it...mortification. So, I grabbed my camera and relaxed a little as I watched them having fun and remembered playing in my favorite dirt pile when I was a little girl.





I thought about how how my kids are missing out on a lot of opportunities to exercise their creativity. I have unopened tubes of glitter, bottles of paint, pads of finger paint paper, and more because I'm paralyzed by the thought of the mess I'll have to clean up when they're done. More than that, though, I realized that I am not living my vocation joyfully. I am not serving my family with love, which means that I'm not loving Christ. So...I'll be taking those thoughts to the foot of the cross in a special way as we begin this Holy Week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, I love the picture of you when you were a little girl:) What a cute idea for your blog.