I made hot cross buns and the kids were surprised that I used confectioner's frosting to fill in the cross because we've been abstaining from sweets through Lent. I explained that the cross is sweet, because by it, Jesus opened the gates of Heaven for us...and that is why we call it GOOD Friday. (I thought about leaving the icing off, but decided not to quibble over a little drizzle of icing on top of some buns that have eggs, butter, milk, sugar, spices, and raisins in them already! How these became "tradition" for Good Friday is beyond me...it seems they'd be better suited for Easter Sunday with all of those traditionally forbidden ingredients!)

We also made cross-shaped breadsticks and decorated our cheese pizza with little crosses of black olives for supper.


Divine Mercy Novena
Day 1 for ALL MANKIND; ESPECIALLY ALL SINNERS
1 comment:
When you find out how Hot Cross Buns became traditional for Good Friday, let me know too!
Post a Comment