Pages

April 30, 2009

got eggs?

Since I've been collecting 2-4 duck eggs from our 4 Buff Orpington hens each day, I have been looking for ways to use them up. Besides egg salad sandwiches at lunch and omlettes for breakfast (except for Catherine, who will only eat fried eggs, over-hard), I have re-discovered a delicious use for our farm-fresh eggs: Puffy Oven Pancake. We first made this for lunch on Teresa's feast day last year, but it doesn't look like I blogged about it. It is much more eggy than cakey, and I like it because it is not too sweet. The recipe we used today follows:

4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup of flour
1 cup of milk (I used 1/3 cup powdered milk + 1 cup of water)
1/4 tsp of salt

Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a 9x13 baking dish in a 400F oven.
Make sure the pan is coated with butter and add the above ingredients, mixed together. (Don't overmix, or the pancake may not rise).

Bake at 400F for 25-30 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm. Whatever fresh, frozen, or canned fruit you have on hand is a perfect accompaniment.

We could eat 2 of these on a Sunday morning for breakfast...good thing I have 2 9x13 pans, because although they are good, it's hard to wait so long for them to come out of the oven! I'd have taken a picture of it, but we were too hungry to wait. Maybe next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mom used to make those for Lent. We loved them! Lisa