Pages

July 13, 2009

a dose of humility

I have been playing the piano/organ at our small church with our small choir since the church organist passed away about 7 years ago. For about the last two years, I have only had to play every other month as a friend has joined me in playing for Sunday morning Mass. I am still, however, the "organist" for funerals and we had a funeral for one of our choir members* this morning. The family also asked a soloist to help out. She has sung the "Ave Maria", accompained by music from a CD, at two other funerals; but this time the family wanted several songs with which our choir is not well-practiced. "Be Not Afraid" and "On Eagle's Wings" are both lovely songs, but they are not church hymns, so I have not made an effort to learn them. I can play them reasonably well and the choir, with a little practice, could certainly sing along competently. The soloist, however, could both sing and play these songs so beautfifully. (Did that music just come out of the same piano I've been trying to play?) Everyone was visibly moved and full of praise for this talented musician when the funeral was over. While I am serving the Church to the best of my ability, a musician I am not.

*Please pray for the repose of the soul of Margaret.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

A dose of humility is great. But, Im sure you do a fine job for your church:) I don't think the "musician" would want her performance to make you feel bad. Some people just have lots of talent. We should be able to enjoy their talent and not feel like it takes anything away from our talents:)

You are super sweet to play the piano for your church. It's something that very few people are talented enough to do. It is also something that takes a big comittment to the church which is something not everyone is willing to do. So don't be to hard on yourself.

Anonymous said...

Good thing I wasn't playing the funeral, the contrast between me and her would have been even worse!
Lisa
PS I used Picasa, a Google picture program, for my collages.