
The girls finally got to paint! (Dad took the boys to a local auction last Saturday morning, so I wasn't afraid of an overwhelming mess). They painted "The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge" Next, we mixed up some green and brown because they wanted to paint their play fort.
I have been discovering books that are based on real places. There really is a little red lighthouse and a great gray bridge in New York! We also discovered that the places in Boston that were featured in Make Way For Ducklings, are real, too. We went to a medeival German town in Once Upon a Dinkelsbuhl and flew across the English Channel with Louis Bleriot in The Glorious Flight. Teresa thinks it's great that these places are real, but she doesn't just want to look at them on the computer. She wants to go see them!) Maybe a Little House on the Prairie trip next summer. Do you have a favorite "real" book?
TWO:
If you let your kids watch The Swan Princess be prepared for them to pick up on a key phrase* from THIS SONG and sing that when it's time to do chores rather than THIS ONE or THIS ONE.
*the key phrase in "This is My Idea" is what the boy and girl sing alternately and then in chorus: "This isn't my idea...this isn't my idea...this isn't my idea of fun." NOT what I want the kids singing during clean-up time
THREE:
Adam has been reading up on and collecting (and making) beer and wine brewing supplies for the past year or so. He finally started his first batch of something: Mead. He also started his first batch of beer this weekend with a friend/co-worker. It is a wheat beer that is supposed to be similar to Blue Moon's Belgian White. I've requested that his next batch be something that tastes like the Empyrean Brewing Co.'s Oatmeal Stout. Michaela should be born by then... FOUR:
Adam took the kids with him on Saturday so I could visit Jennie and do some shopping. I found lots of cute NB winter clothes for Michaela and I think that I should have everything I need for her, now. I also bought a few new footed pjs for Anthony and winter coats for the girls at Once Upon a Child. I'm glad I didn't have the kids because it is one of those stores you have to be careful in. One cute sleeper will be $2.50 and the next one that is the exact same style and brand will be $4.50.
Speaking of shopping carefully, I had a lovely time browsing at Adoremus Books . I could have spent a LOT of money, there, but kept it under $50...with a $10 off coupon. I also got to pick out a free prayer coin and was especially drawn to this one. Two new books that I'm excited to have are Mary Reed Newland's The Year and Our Children and Hubert van Zeller's Holiness for Housewives. Have you read this book?
The girls want to learn how to play the piano, so I stopped at a few music stores. I learned with Bastien's Piano Basics but instead of using my Primer, which I started with in 3rd grade, I bought Piano for Young Beginners Primers A and B. It was kind of fun to browse through a music store again.
While I was in town, I decided to pop into Michaels to get some things for the kids to make plaques to hold their Rosaries (I was inspired/reminded by the Wooden Rosary Holder Kit's I had seen at Adoremus Books.) For less than $4/kid, rather than $7.50, everyone will have their own. It will be a Sunday afternoon craft project and they should be ready by October, the month of the Rosary. I also found a cute Mary Engelbreit calendar for our school room and when I was done there, I walked over to Schlotzky's to enjoy a (Medium) Original Deluxe. It was 956 calories, but YUM!
FIVE:
When I was working with the girls on something last week, Anthony asked if he could go outside to get the truck he'd left out yesterday. I told him yes and Stephen said, "Me go too, okay?" with a tilt of the head and his very serious look. I let him go, but apparently he didn't. Instead, he took a Sharpie *gasp* from Daddy's drawer and did some decorating downstairs:

slip-covered couch and cushion

coffee table and daddy's chair

shoe shelf and, of course, himself.
Anyone know of a magic trick to get permanent marker out of upholstery or finished wood?
SIX:
I read this quote by Blessed Mother Teresa at the bottom of a forwarded email. "The success of love is in the loving - it is not in the result of loving. Of course it is natural in love to want the best for the other person, but whether it turns out that way or not does not determine the value of what we have done." I've never heard that one before.
SEVEN: Some friends came over for dinner on Sunday night. Shannon is due about a week after me and Catherine asked, "Are you going to have a baby, too?" Shannon affirmed this and Catherine observed, "Your baby is bigger than ours." We both laughed. My babies have all been small (<7lbs) and I never look as big as I feel. Another mother whom I met up with recently, due in January, observed that she is already bigger than me, as well...as I'm sure most of the expectant moms I know are or soon will be.
A PICTURE THOUGHT I AM SHARING:
(I hope no one is offended by this...you're all moms and things like this happen all the time in your house too, right?) Stephen is spending much more time here lately. He has woken up dry and kept his training pants dry for a few days, now! I wasn't really expecting it, so I haven't been counting...but it looks like Stephen will be out of diapers by the time Michaela is born!


3 comments:
-I'm glad you finally found the books!
-As I was reading about the marker, Darren walked in my office with a can of Spot Shot asking if he should use it to clean the couch! Nice timing. :P We discovered it after a crayon/couch incident, but it works awesome for all kinds of things. We've used it on fabric, a mattress, & the carpet just in the month or so since we discovered it. Might be worth a try. It's actually something like WD40...made by the same company I think...and we found it just by Googling our specific problem. Seems to be the answer to quite a few! Good luck!
Ive used magic eraser on finished wood without problems. But, I cant guarantee anything.
Today after I read your post the first time I found a huge area of the carpet where an ink pin exploded. (Your blog post must have some kind of power) Anyway, I used our carpet cleaner.....it didn't get it all up. So I might have to get a Rug Doctor. I think they work better than the standard home cleaners. But, Im going to try it one more time tomorrow before I make any plans to get the rug doctor.
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Permanent-Marker-from-Furniture has a couple of tips besides the furniture whaich can probably applied to the floor-the dad
Post a Comment