Pages

September 14, 2009

winter squash

I have always planted acorn squash. I grew up eating acorn squash served with butter, brown sugar and maple syrup. My husband grew up eating butternut squash served with butter, salt, and pepper. Last year my husband told me he does not like acorn squash. So, this year, I planted butternut squash (left) and something new to both of us: buttercup squash (right).



After doing a little research on how to prepare it, (cut side up or down? water in the pan or not? covered or uncovered?) We compromised on the method and are both happy with the result:

Roast squash cut side down UNCOVERED at 400 for 40-50 minutes with NO water in the pan. I buttered the pan so the squash wouldn't stick. It peeled easily, and came out fully cooked.

We were pleased with the flavor of both kinds of squash and were surprised by the smooth texture of the buttercup squash - it will make great baby food! This was the first squash I've ever been able to eat without brown sugar and/or maple syrup...just a little butter and salt: DELICIOUS! Also, since buttercup squash is a true winter squash, it will keep well all winter. The butternut squash will only keep for about 3 months.

NOTE: We are learning about controlling squash bugs...we have a lot. I've also noticed damage from cucumber beetles as we've been bringing in the harvest and preparing it for long-term storage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom found a natural ingredients recipe for controlling Squash bugs that Grandma dill used to use. Thought she already sent it to you. - the dad

stephanie said...

The recipe, for the record (We've used something like this to deter rabbits from our seedlings in the spring):

Blend for 1 minute 3 cloves garlic, 1 med. onion (chopped) + 2 C. water. Add 2 tsp hot red pepper, steep for 24 hrs. strain + dilute with 5 cups water before using.

Another Brew
garlic, onion, hot pepper, peppercorns mixedd wtih one cup detergent to 1 gal. water. Use 1/2 C in 1 qt water.