Pages

April 12, 2010

busy weekend

My husband took Friday morning off to get ready to pour a concrete pad under the chicken house that we moved on to our property last year. It was not long before he learned that it's still 'early' and that the concrete plants are not open on Saturdays yet. We had until 4 to get everything ready or he'd have to take Monday off, too. Enter me.

We got this building off the ground, built the concrete forms, did the necessary dirt work and were ready to pour concrete by 4PM. Then, who do you think was ankle deep in concrete for the next hour? Yep - that would be me. We got it leveled and screeded, although I have to admit that I realized how weak I've become. I need to work out - not to lose weight but to build up some strength so a) the lady driving the concrete truck won't call me a 90-pound weakling again and b) so I can help the handsome husband when he needs me.

We did git 'er done, though, and as soon as the concrete is cured, we'll lower her down and fill her up with 175 broiler chicks. They're scheduled to arrive April 22nd and June 12th is slated for butchering day.



This is not Rainbow, our cat. Rainbow is pregnant - We'll have another litter of kittens in a few weeks. This is another mangy looking tortoiseshell cat that has decided to adopt us. We don't feed her intentionally, but she's not leaving. Oh well. I guess she can stay for now...although we are a little worried about keeping those broiler chicks we have coming safe because in addition to this one, there are two big black cats (one has a white spot on his chest) that we've been seeing quite frequently, as well.



While we were outside, I noticed that it is, indeed, spring! Just look at all those apricot blossoms after such a hard winter. So, we knew it was time to get that garden ready. I got our seeds started while dh tilled the garden. The chickens love it - and they can enjoy it until May when we plant 'round here.



Christ is risen! Alleluia!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

You got so much done this weekend. Congrats! I vacuumed my house.....which doesnt seem like that big of a deal now:D