Pages

April 29, 2010

Catherine's name day

"This great Saint was born in Siena, an ancient city of Tuscany, Italy, in the year 1347. She {snip} received the sacred stigmata of the Five Wounds and the Crown of Thorns at twenty-eight years of age. ...our Divine Savior appeared to her with a crown of gold, all inlaid with pearls and precious stones in His right hand, and holding in His left a Crown of Thorns, and affectionately said to her: know my dear daughter that you must of necessity be crowned some time or other, with one of these two crowns. Therefore take your choice; either the Crown of Thorns in this transitory life, and have the other reserved for your everlasting glory; or take the crown of gold at present and hereafter that of thorns. '...I do most willingly accept the crown of suffering and ignominy.' Having said this, St. Catherine took from our Savior's left hand the Crown of Thorns and placed it upon her head..."

[Bolland. Acta s.s 55. 30th April] from Catholic Tradition
painting by Fra Bartolommeo (others, here)

We printed Waltzing Matilda's coloring page, and the girls tried to shade them like Fra Bartolommeo did in his painting. I encouraged them to use different colors to make the pictures their own. They also drew the crown of thorns and crown of glory and a Church like the one they saw her holding in an icon, here. Can you guess which girl did each picture?

4 comments:

Smiler #1 said...

Is it Teresa on the left? They're both really good. =] I'm going to check out Waltzing Matilda this afternoon...sounds cool.

the grandparents said...

we think that Castherine did the left and Teresa did the right

Kristi said...

Hmm....I think Teresa did the one on the left and Catherine did the one on the right.

stephanie said...

I hesitate to give it away so soon, but the grandparents know their grandchildren pretty well!