Pages

May 28, 2010

It's almost June?!

I've almost finished planting the garden. Yikes! I'm hoping for a really late frost.

We've scratched our first mosquito bites and saw our first lightning bugs tonight. I grew up on the East Coast and we called them lightning bugs. Out here in the Midwest they call them fireflies. It's like the soda - pop - cola - coke thing. (It's soda, by the way. Pop is another name for dad like in the book Hop on Pop; cola is a particular flavor of soda and coke is a particular brand of cola...if you're going to be drinking it).

I've identified Northern Flicker, Brown Thrasher, Brown-Headed Cowbirds, and Red-winged Blackbirds by their song. We've also got Orchard Orioles - hopefully building a nest. We haven't seen hummingbirds migrating through this year, though we HAVE seen a white-striped sphinx hummingbird moth. It freaked my almost 8-yo daughter out. She thought it was some kind of humongous bee that was going to impale her. My 6-yo daughter thought it was beautiful.

2 comments:

cmarie said...

I enjoyed this. I really appreciate your knowledge of wildlife and calling creatures by name. I have ruby throated hummingbirds in my yard already!
Have a lovely day

stephanie said...

thanks - it's fun to hear my kids call creatures by name - which they know since I use them My 3yo son pointed outside this winter and said "Look at the cardinal!" Just yesterday my 6yo daughter was so happy because she just saw her favorite butterfly - a yellow swallowtail. :)