Pages

November 20, 2010

sippy cups

When Catherine was a baby we had a terrible time with her being constipated.  I blamed it on using formula and starting solids too early - mommy guilt.  I didn't have this trouble with any other child (since I waited to start solids and was able to nurse them for much longer, of course) until now.  Michaela gets constipated.  If she continues like Catherine, there is a long road ahead of us.


So, what does this have to do with sippy cups?  Well, the doctor prescribed Miralax for Catherine (It's OTC, now) and we were able to add it to juice in a bottle.  She was used to drinking from bottles.  Michaela is not.  We had a Playtex sippy cup that we tried to use until a 3yo boy chewed up the valve, rendering the cup useless for a baby.  We have 5 Playtex sippy cups and every single valve has met the same fate.  I went to buy replacement valves but, knowing they wouldn't last long, decided to try a different brand.


We've tried the Gerber NUK brand, but the spout inevitably gets chewed up.  I thought the Munchkin brand that did not have a stopper looked promising, but it was a disaster.  Even I could not get any liquid out of it.  It is designed so that you have to bite down and suck...and that is not something ANY nursing mother wants to encourage.  I took my Toys R Us gift card and had the Playtex sippy cups and a package of replacement stoppers in my hand and then I noticed a sale on the Tommee Tippee training cups.  They cost more, but the sale made them the same price and I decided to give them a try.  I am SO glad I did.


These sippy cups are awesome!  It took me to baby #5 to discover them, but now that I have, I will not buy any other brand.  I LOVE these sippy cups and so does Michaela.  She puts it up to her mouth to drink and giggles with delight when she takes a drink and it works!  I gave it a try, myself, and while they are completely leak free, it takes hardly any effort to get the liquid flowing.  The spout is the perfect balance between soft and hard so she does not want - or need - to chew on it.  I'm not getting anything free for this shameless advertisement - I'm just completely enamored by this product.  If you have had sippy cup woes, look no further!

2 comments:

Smiler #1 said...

Teresa got one for her birthday & I love them, too! My favorite part is actually the flippable lid so I can through it in the car or diaper bag. Simple yet new ingenuity!

Anonymous said...

Cute sippies. Glad you found something you like.