Pages

March 5, 2011

music and movies

We have been listening to Pandora radio, tailoring a station that plays children's music while we do our Saturday morning cleaning.  When Mary Poppins "Just a Spoonful of Sugar came on, Teresa said, "This is a great clean-up song.  But, I tried snapping my fingers like them and it doesn't work."  Sorry, dear.  There's no Mary Poppins in this house.

I guess they've been watching Mary Poppins at school in their music class, which I don't mind as much as Teresa's other recent question/comment.  "Mrs. M- asked everyone who has seen 'High School Musical' and I was the only one who didn't raise my hand.  Can we watch it?"  These are first graders!  Am I really the only one who has not let my kids watch this movie?

Common Sense Media rates it for ages 8+  (My first grader is 7, many are 6).  I don't think there's anything "bad" about the movie, which is rated TV-G, but the themes just seem too mature for such little kids.  Why are we pushing them to grow up so fast?  I don't get it!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I agree. The kiddos in Rus CCD class are giving up Wii and pop for Lent. I was like "Really? You're already doing that?" Oh well.