Pages

October 26, 2009

Seven Quick Takes (Vol. 6)

While I've been on my blogging break (sort of) I've made a few discoveries. We'll call this the discovery edition:

1) Aubrey's blog, Laughing All The Way- I've never met anyone who has kids who are the same ages and genders as my own!

2) Golden Gems - the kids look forward to reading these fun Golden Books. Sometimes I can use Ctrl+ on the main page to enlarge the thumbnails and they're readable, other times, I have to open each one and adjust the picture (Ctrl+ or Ctrl-) to fit the screen best. Enjoy!

3) The Young Learning Center at Learn Now BC - the kids also look forward to getting some computer time to "play" here. It's pretty good free on-line learning software. Roy the Zebra is also pretty cool for emergent readers, but it's not all free.

4) Another one for the kids: Max Lucado's Hermie and Friends. There are several of these we're able to Watch Instantly on Netflix. They're not as funny as VeggieTales, but are well done.

5) Father Michael Najim's blog, Live Holiness. His inspiring posts seem to be just what I need to read. It is a relatively new blog, created "...to encourage and inspire you to live your ultimate calling: holiness."

6) Elizabeth Goudge. Father V. asked me if I'd seen this movie (I haven't), and it's not available on Netflix (boo), so I checked out the book (after fininshing the last story in The Innocence of Father Brown and a garage sale find, Five Little Peppers and How They Grew) and I have had a hard time putting it down. The only thing that could enhance my enjoyment of Green Dolphin Street would be a little more knowledge of the French language. Most of Elizabeth Goudge's books are no longer in print and our library only has two others by her (The White Witch and The Scent of Water), so I'll be keeping my eye out for used copies of her novels and children's books like, The Little White Horse.

7) Glazed Fried Croissants. Honestly, this has to be the most unhealthy sounding breakfast sweet I've ever heard of. So, of course I grabbed one out of the most recent load of leftovers from CSS that our neighbor brought home (along with some apple fritters, which are still my favorite) and savored every bite. Hey, I'm pregnant!

A Picture Thought I'm Sharing:
I'd prefer to share a picture of the robin with the white crown who visited our bird feeder recently. I had never seen a Leucistic American Robin before, have you? It was an interesting discovery for me. Rather than a lovely bird, though, I have this photo of the possum we caught while trying to discover what is prowling about our chicken coop at night. It was humanely re-located.

No comments: