When we got there, we went to her room and her bed was empty. My Aunt Julie came around the corner and said they had her sitting up in one of the activity rooms! She had a really good day on Saturday and was still doing well when we arrived on Sunday. She had some color back in her face, was able to open her eyes and look up at us while we talked. Some of what she said even made sense.
Gramps told her, "Stephanie is here from Nebraska to visit you. She's your granddaughter - Doug's oldest girl." She looked up at me and said, "I'll be darned." :) We told her about the baby and that we were going to name her Michaela Jean. She wasn't sure that her name was Jean, though. I realized that one of her sisters, Genevive, had "stolen" her name and gone by "Jean" (or Jane, or Joan as the mood suited her) so everyone called my Grams "Janina" among other nicknames, until highschool when they realized that my grandma's name was actually Jean - so we talked about that, among other things.
Aunt Julie had to leave around noon and that was Grams lunch time, so we all said goodbye and I left comforted in the fact that I had the chance to have at least one more good visit with her. Everyone attributes her turn-around to the blessings of the priest. Truly, the sacraments are powerful.
Although our time with Grams and Aunt Julie was short, we were able to go out to lunch with Gramps and Aunt Becky. Adam, in particular, really enjoyed getting to talk to my grandpa. We've only seen him three times in our marriage: at our wedding, at his 80th birthday party and two years ago at his 85th birthday party and none of those occassions were great for sitting down and talking. We got to see where Gramps is living, now, and Adam was impressed with his collection of miltary decorations from the war. Since I brought my camera, I had Adam take a picture of us before we left (next time, tell me my head is on crooked).


2 comments:
I'm so glad you got to have a good visit!
I'm glad you got to visit also. I love the picture....its sooo sweet:)
Post a Comment