Pages

January 5, 2010

have you ever tried to photograph a snowflake?

Millions of 'real' snowflakes fell from the sky last night. They are covering everything outside. I've never seen so many! I could have been out there all day in spite of the cold. Perhaps I'll pop in a movie and try again later. They certainly won't be melting anytime soon. Here are a few of my first attempts with the supermacro setting and a cat clawing at my coveralls:







If you scroll down on this Cal-Tech page, you can see that we've got mostly Stellar Dendrites and Fern-like Stellar Dendrites: "Some snowfalls contain almost nothing but stellar dendrites and fernlike stellar dendrites. It can make quite a sight when they collect in vast numbers, covering everything in sight."





I think these turned out pretty well, too:



1 comment:

Camille said...

My sister took an amazing picture of a snowflake and how she did it was by catching one on a dark smooth glove. It showed up beautifully against the dark colour of the glove ~ you could see the pattern of the flake really well. Hope that works for you. Having said that, your pics are lovely too. :)

Blessings,
Camille