This was my first cherry pie. It was Teresa's idea. I have a fear of hydrogenated oil, so we don't have any shortening in the house, but I found a recipe for an all butter pie crust. I figured out that it's pretty easy to roll out said crust between two pieces of plastic wrap and that the plastic wrap holds it together when you transfer it to the pie plate. We used a small star shaped cookie cutter instead of your typical slits (or trying to do a lattice crust). It was looking pretty good...
I either didn't cook it long enough or hot enough or use enough flour to thicken it, because it was a really juicy cherry pie...as you can see by the cherry juice streaked across the finished product. It's a shooting star...fireworks...for the 4th of July. Right.
We enjoyed the starry top crust with some of the cherries and whipped cream. I poured out the juice, added flour and a little more sugar and microwaved that mixture. It got nice and thick, so I mixed it with the rest of the cherries and put back in the bottom crust - we'll top it with whipped cream when it's cool and it won't be as pretty, but it will be good. It's made from scratch, after all! Happy Fourth of July!


4 comments:
Very cute!
it looks pretty:)
Love the stars.
Wow! Well done!
Post a Comment