Anthony likes to help me. Last month, he showcased his talents as a chef. I am always cleaning up puddles of water from his efforts to help me wash dishes. This morning he proved, once again, that one little boy can do quite a lot in a short amount of time. He usually helps me in the laundry room, so he knows his way around quite well. Today he unloaded the unsorted laundry for me. Half of it went directly into the washer, the other half in the drier.
When I arrived on the scene, the drier was in it's cool down cycle (we use "sensor dry" and it quickly recognized that it was trying to dry a load of dry clothes) and the washer was spinning. I paused and opened it to find everything from white T-shirts to red sweatpants, jeans and Sunday dresses being washed together. With help like this, it's no wonder the house is a mess!
However, I only have to look back to last January to realize that this unhelpful help will soon turn into real help. Although his efforts to help me unload the dishwasher then were somewhat less than helpful, now he is very good at sorting the silverware, handing me the heavy dishes and glasses to put up, and putting the plastic cups, plates, and bowls away all by himself. Learning just takes time...and patience.


No comments:
Post a Comment